On his last boondoggle at the Conference of Mayors, Hayward attended a White House announcement. Remember, President Trump has been to Pensacola 2 or 3 times as either a candidate or the President and the Mayor has NEVER attended any of the visits.
But finally he tells us how he feels emphatically.
- The leader of his organization is a great guy.
- His organizations leader that the Citizens pay for him to belong urged Mayors to boycott.
- But Hayward is a supporter of Donald Trump although he has never said so before.
- As Mayor you don't have the luxury to be partisan when you represent everyone, although I have already said I'm Republican and support Trump in this interview.
- My job is to represent every Citizen.
- The last sentence is a hoot! Our success is right there in how we've worked across party lines for the whole community."
Here is my interpretation of his comments.
- I'm in DC on a boondoggle spending some serious coin.
- The Mayors here got a chance to go to the White House to see the President make a presentation.
- I'm out of office in 10 months and this is my only chance to get to go to the White House.
- I don't have a job when I get out of office and have been criticized by Republicans for not supporting the President.
- So "I support the President" but all of you that don't I'm your Mayor too so don't be mad.
- I'll represent you, but I need a job soon. Tru dat!
- I need to sound bi-partisan even though Pensacola is NONPARTISAN.
- I hope this helps me get a job, but at least I got to go the White House.