"(Ray) Palmer estimated the cost to build such a facility could range between $80-100 million."
$100,000,000! Makes the Maritime Park look like a bargain!
The drawing depicts a basketball arena seating 5,000 (for our basketball team) and eight volleyball / basketball courts evidently trying to attract sports tournaments.
While something must be done with the aging Bay Center, this idea and concept may have been beaten to the market when you see the $500 million destination development the Poarch Band of Creek Indians are doing in Foley/Gulf Shores.
See the flythrough video. It's amazing
The OWA development will have:
- a 150 room Marriott
- 3,500 jobs
- $40,000,000 sports complex with 16 state of the art outdoor fields
- 90,000 square foot indoor events center to open in 2017
- 9 miles from the beach
- on a beach expressway
- with an amusement park
- with a waterpark
- with a condo complex
- and an RV resort
"The two projects will provide a seamless experience for "sports families" who travel to the area specifically for tournaments, but who will avail themselves of opportunities offered by Owa to entertain the entire family."
Pensacola's version presented this week while unbuilt and years away, may seem handicapped off the bat.
Lets look at them head to head:
- New Marriott vs. the Grand
- New restaurants onsite vs. Carabba's, Waffle House and Newk's
- Shopping onsite vs. Duh!
- 16 outdoor fields vs. the Tech Park
- Indoor events center open in 2017 vs. trying to lure events from OWA
- 9 miles from the beach vs. 6 miles from the beach with a bridge under contruction for 5 years
- on beach expressway vs. on WD Childers Plaza and Chase Blvd
- Amusement Park vs. St Michael's Cemetery
- Waterpark vs. Fountain at the drop off point
- Condo Complex vs, Aragon
- RV resort vs. parking lot parking.