One section that is always a hoot is the Statistical section. It is full of ridiculous facts like the number of stop lights and miles of paved roads in the City.
But every year there are a few that leave me scratching my head as if to ask Whaaaaat? or Hooooow?
Here's a few that I can't figure out?
- Miles of Gas Mains 1,680 1,525 Where did the 155 miles of main go?
- Golf Course Acres 123 108 Did the course shrink?
- Golf Course Yardage 6,400 6,450 If losing $100,000 a year did we need it to get bigger?
- Golf Rounds 20,408 18,449 I see the losses mounting!
- Parks 93 93
- Park Acres 517 592 Do parks grow?
- Commercial Burglary 82 108 The crooks are looking for more bang for the buck?
- Traffic violations 8,199 6,826 Gulf Breeze would NOT be having this!
- Parks and Rec
- Programs 324 298 Less programs leads to?
- City Participants 231,624 189,292 Less involvement
- County Participants 65,248 45,272 More less involvement
Additionally, one aspect I laugh the most about is how much of the Budget is just "change the dates and reprint" or "same as last year"
One example is the 'General Information Concerning the City".
It reads, directly next to a photo of all five flags INCLUDING THE CONFEDERATE FLAG:
"Pensacola is nicknamed “The City of Five Flags” due to the five governments that have flown flags over it during its history: those of Spain, France, Great Britain, the Confederate States of America, and the United States. Other nicknames include “World’s Whitest Beaches” (due to the white sand prevalent along beaches in the Florida panhandle). “Cradle of Naval Aviation” (the National Museum of Naval Aviation is located at the Pensacola Naval Air Station, home of the legendary Blue Angels), “Western Gate to the Sunshine State,” “America’s First Settlement,” and “The Upside of Florida.”
The Upside is relegated to the DownSide of the nickname list.