Editorial: David Allen is the right choice for fire chief
The PNJ coverage leading up to the confirmation was...well, less than forthright.
If the PNJ knew that Allen was reprimanded "for threatening an officer" it knew that reprimand also included the fact that Allen made racial slurs. That was not reported.
The PNJ lauds the appointment of a man with a documented past of making racial slurs.
The PNJ also received the handwritten additional reprimands given by Matt Schmitt. I copied them with them. I have the email with the documents attached.
The PNJ knew the entire laundry list of issues with David Allen. No objections to:
- Chain of Command violations
- Political activity while of duty
- Delegation when not authorized
- Conducting media interviews w/o authorization
- NO - Character, honesty, integrity, fairness, caring, accountability
- Solicitation of political support from Citizens while on duty
- Positioning self at events so as to curry political favors
- Failure to properly supervise subordinates
- Using the office of FM and PIO to further political aspirations
- Lack of respect for DC in the Chain of Command
Instead they lauded the firefighters who came down to support the Chief by sitting in the audience at Council despite the fact it violated state law:
Most that follow this blog try to be a little more informed regarding city issues. John Q. Public is not as in tune with the inner workings of the corruption in City Hall. What they see of the City is what is in the press and what they hear on TV or Facebook. That's why Hayward has been so successful.
Control the message, control the people.
That's why a recall will be the only way. The uninformed must be educated about what is going on and why it matters.
A few can start the recall petition. It WILL make the press.
The same few can lead the recall vote signature campaign. Success will guarantee coverage.
Only then will the uninformed be presented with the facts by the press.
When it can not be avoided.