"All letters of reprimand issued to Chief David Allen included in his employee file"
On June 6, the City provided one (1) reprimand from 1992 for Allen's use of racial slurs and threatening a superior officer. PR-Allen-Reprimand
On June 6, I emailed Ed Sisson, Eric Olson, and the Public Records Coordinator to inquire why I was not provided all reprimands. I noted that Allen himself had disclosed additional reprimands in his testimony to Russell VanSickle.
In his statement to VanSickle, Chief Allen states:
"so in February of 2015, I asked to and got an appointment with the Mayor and to express my interest in the Fire Chief job and to let him know that I would like to be considered if in fact Chief Schmitt retires and like that and the Mayor thanked me but apparently he contacted Chief Schmitt and asked him is it true – I hear that you are thinking about leaving in April and Chief Schmitt took offense to that and called me into his office and told me that I had gone – been insubordinate – gone around the chain of command and that I was being reprimanded for that and then he brought up – I can’t remember the items because he didn’t give me a copy but but there were like three items in a row and I said - I said it was my understanding – Chief Glover by the way was in the room – um it was my understanding that we have a progressive discipline policy and that in order for you to get a second or third reprimand – you have to have gotten the first reprimand – that you can’t save three reprimands up and give them all simultaneously and uh anyway he told me that that’s how he was going to do that."
These reprimands were not provided. Either proposed Chief Allen made false statements to VanSickle, someone has destroyed the records or you are withholding public records.
I request an immediate response or I will be forced to ask the State Attorney's Office to intervene.
The City responded:
"This letter responds to your public records request to the City of Pensacola, dated and received on 6/7/2016.
The City of Pensacola has reviewed its files and has determined there are no responsive records or documents to your request."
On June 8, I again wrote to Olson, Sisson and the Public Records Coordinator stating:
Public Records Correspondence
- All of the documents were clearly written by the same individual.
- None of the documents were signed by any party. No employee, no supervisor, no witness, no date.
- 12/11/15 Failure to notify Fire Chief's Deputy Fire Chief of email sent by Buddy McCormick to City Staff/Council, before City Council meeting on 12/11/15
- 1/21/15 Failure to keep immediate supervisor Deputy Chief Joe Glover apprised of your activities.
- 1/21/15 Conducting political activity while on duty, including Mayor, other City officials and City Council members.
- 1/21/15 Violation / not using the chain of command by contacting the Mayor's office concerning Fire Chief.
- Why did the City state that these 4 reprimands did not exist yet they magically appear?
- Why was a signed copy not in the HR file for Allen?
- Why are all of the documents unsigned by anyone?
- Where are the supporting notes to these reprimands written up in MS Word kept on the F drive created by the Fire Chief?
- Were the originals destroyed or removed from the file?
- If so, who had access to the personnel files in the fire administration building to remove the originals?
- Is destruction of public records / personnel documents a crime?
- Do the reprimands show a motive for why Allen worked so hard to remove Glover and Schmitt?
- Is it concerning to Council that David Allen has openly lobbied the Mayor and his staff for the Chief's job over the objections of his supervisors since 2011 to the point that he had to be reprimanded several times.
- Is it not convenient that:
- Schmitt and Glover are put on leave.
- David Allen is told by Eric Olson to go ahead and move in the Chief's office immediately when the Chiefs are put on leave and told to "start running the department as if its your own"
- Allen brings up the Car Seat allegations of which HE IS THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY late in the process after the original allegations were compiled.
- Allen is made Fire Chief the day Schmitt and Glover are relieved.
- No nationwide search.
- No advertisements.
- No interviews.
- Just appoint the guy:
- who left a firefighter in a burning building and ran out ahead of his team
- who took no responsibility for the death
- was reprimanded for making racial slurs and threatening a superior
- was reprimanded for continually doing politcal activity on duty lobbying the Mayor and staff to be Chief
- had clear conflicts of interest in his outside employment
- testified under oath that it was ABSOLUTELY OK to operate a business out of the fire house WHILE ON DUTY
- who wrecked a City vehicle in Oct 2015 and did not report it for 24 hours
- and failed to get permission from the City for outside employment at HDCC in direct conflict of interest with his job
David Allen is not the right person for this job! The Department needs someone WITHOUT the history and baggage associated with decades inside the Department.