The City released an additional document late yesterday regarding the performance issues of proposed Chief David Allen noted by Chief Schmitt. The issues are in the form of bullet points which are listed below verbatim.
- Chain of Command violations Mayor, Councilpeople, Dick, Tamara
- Political activity while of duty
- Delegation when not authorized
- Conducting media interviews w/o authorization
- Competent in skill, knowledge, experience, ability
- NO - Character, honesty, integrity, fairness, caring, accountability
- Presense in Stations
- Time spent in City Hall - 5th Floor Only
- Solicitation of political support from Citizens while on duty
- Positioning self at events so as to curry political favors
- Failure to properly supervise subordinates
- Using the office of FM and PIO to further political aspirations
- REDACTED - email you did not give me re Port at City Council
Impersonating the Fire Chief
- Lack of respect for DC in the Chain of Command
- City ordinance change / accessing attorneys w/o permission
- Chief Schmitt going in drop
- Call to office from Mayor to you week you returned from Fire Rescue East
- ATV Grant. Did you authorize the application by Hoffman?
WOW! How can Hayward make this guy the Chief when the Interim Chief he counted on for 5 years assessed his nominee as stated above?
Why was this document hidden for over a week by the City until the SAO had to get involved?
How can Hayward make this guy Chief when Dick Barker ASKED Chief Schmitt to reprimand him for constantly being under foot begging for the job?
When your supervisor states in writing NO - Character, honesty, integrity, fairness, caring, accountability that's usually unrecoverable in an employee file for promotion.
When a your supervisor states in writing "Failure to properly supervise subordinates" that's usually unrecoverable in an employee file for promotion.
Apparently those traits are EXACTLY what Hayward looks for in employees.
The Court and Jury will LOVE this document in any future suit!
David Allen is not the right person for this job! The Department needs someone WITHOUT the history and baggage associated with decades inside the Department.